5 – Voter registration and Voting for Expats

United Kingdom

Voter Registration

Basically, you can now register to vote if you left the UK less than 16 years ago. This factsheet, produced in April 2016, will give you most of the information you  need to register.

More information (and up-to-date information!) can be found on the Embassies’ Facebook page or on their Twitter feed

Voting on Issues
BREXIT referendum June 2016

Once you have registered, you are strongly advised to vote, and in particular in this particular issue which may have repercussion on British subjects living in Switzerland.

There is a lot of information about the referendum on this Government website.

You might also like to read this article by the Rt Hon David Lidington MP

Finally, if you want more information as to how a withdrawal process might be constructed, you can explore another government website.


You can register to vote if you are 1) qualified to vote, 2) have resided at some time in Canada and 3) have resided abroad for less than 5 consecutive years (with some exceptions to this last requirement).

The registration process and the exceptions are explained on this website!

New Zealand

Basically any Kiwi living abroad can vote on condition that he or she is registered with the correct authority. Once registered you will also be informed about issues on which you are entitled to vote.
You are eligible to enrol and vote from overseas if you:

  •  are 18 years of age or older,
  • have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life,

and are either:

  • a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past three years,or
  • a New Zealand permanent resident who has been in New Zealand at any point in the past 12 months.
If you visit this Government site not only will you find more complete information but you will be able to register, if you have not already done so, or update your information if you have.
Please note that the NZ Embassy in Berlin is the correct authority for Kiwis residing in Switzerland.