|The British Embassy in Berne has provided the following definition:
1. A child, born in Switzerland or elsewhere abroad after 1 January 1983, of a parent who is a British Citizen by descent (who had a father or mother born in the United Kingdom) has an entitlement to be registered as a British Citizen (by descent) if the parent in question has at any time before the child’s birth lived in the United Kingdom for a continuous period of 3 years, and the application for registration is made within one year of the child’s birth. If the parent who is a British Citizen by descent has not lived in the United Kingdom for a period of three years prior to his/her child’s birth, then the child has no claim to British Citizenship.
2. A child, born in Switzerland or elsewhere abroad of a parent who is a British Citizen by descent may be registered as a British Citizen (otherwise than by descent) if the family returns to live in the UK for at least 3 years. An application under this provision must be made before the child’s eighteenth birthday.
3. Children born abroad before 1 January 1983 of a foreign father and of a British mother who was born in the United Kingdom, can be registered as British citizens at the Home Office, or through a Consulate if living abroad, provided these children are minors i.e. under 18 years of age.
4. Children born in the UK after 1January 1983, to a parent who is British by birth or by descent, will automatically be British Citizens “otherwise than by descent”.
5. The wife or husband of a British Citizen may apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen immediately after completing three years’ legal residence in the United Kingdom. This three years may begin with the applicant’s admission to the UK as a spouse, but her/his stay must not be subject to any time limit on the date of application, i.e. she/he must have permission from the Home Office to remain in the UK permanently when she/he applies. Periods of previous residence in the UK do not count towards this requirement. The applicant must be 18 or over.